Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Friday, July 8, 2011

Rabbits and Crickets and Owls, Oh My!

There is nothing better than getting up just before the sun and going for a nice, sweaty, early morning summer run. Okay, well maybe there are a few things that are better like sipping rum punch on a Caribbean beach or box seats behind home plate at the Stadium, but for crazy old me, not much beats running with the bunnies. I'm going out of town this weekend and, given that my half marathon training plan has started, I needed to get in a six mile run that I would normally do on a Saturday. I got up at 5 and took off on a steady pace through my neighborhood. The first thing I heard was a Great Horned Owl hooting in a tree across the street. Of course the crickets were chirping away as well. And what run would be complete without the 22 rabbits that I saw in the hour that I ran? Now, running in the morning may not be your idea of a good time, but as I was out bonding with nature this morning, one thought was going through my mind.

I love this. 


Even if you don't want to run in the morning, go out for a walk just as the sun is coming up or stand on your front porch or just open the window and listen to the sounds of the morning. It can be beautiful so matter where you live. We currently live in a very typical suburban area but I remember clearly my early morning runs when I lived in Hoboken, NJ. I would get up early and get my run in before work and it was just as beautiful, if not more so, as it is here. Part of my run took my along the piers by the Hudson River and there, right before me was the most beautiful skyline in the world. It was amazing! I guess my point is this: take some time to get up early, enjoy the silence before your crazy day starts, and breathe. You might be surprised how well your day will go after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment