Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Friday, August 20, 2010

Go ahead, ruin my barbeque

As previously mentioned, I am currently reading The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. As I journey through this book, I want to share some of the facts I find particularly interesting about the importance of reducing and eliminating our meat intake. I apologize if this ruins anyone's weekend BBQ plans but I found that the following quote from her book is something we don't often think about. It has to do with our digestive tract not being designed to handle meat consumption.

"A carnivore's intestines are only about 6 feet long, because meat isn't meant to hang out in the gut forever. Our intestines are 20 feet long; when we eat meat, it takes a full 72 hours to pass through us. That's 3 days, and your body, my friend, is 98.6 degrees inside! It's like having steak sit out in the hot sun for 3 days straight. Eventually it will start to rot and putrefy. And that's what's happening inside of you." (page 21 of The Kind Diet)

Mmmmm... burger anyone?

1 comment: