Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My confession


Do you want the good news or the bad news first? Well, I'll start you off like this...

The Bad News: I ate a bacon cheeseburger on my vacation to San Diego this past week.
The Good News: It was 100% vegan!

You read that correctly! While in San Diego, CA (of course) we found a completely vegan fast food restaurant, complete with a drive-thru and a selection of desserts. Evolution Fast Food is located in North Park right next to Balboa Park (home of the San Diego Zoo and many, many museums). The food was really good and it was refreshing to walk into a restaurant and not have to examine the menu with a fine tooth comb. We knew everything was vegan, and even though the food was not the healthiest we were happy to find that it was all plant-based. Here is a picture of my "burger" and a side of sweet potato fries...
Yum! Prior to our trip I was finding it pretty easy to eat a vegan diet. Everything is easier when you are in your home environment! I figured it would be challenging on vacation and I figured at some point I would be having cheese in some form. But it was actually easier than I thought. Of course, this was California where there may be more of a demand for vegetarian cuisine than, say, Kansas. We ate at several non-vegetarian restaurants, however, that had vegan dishes such as veggie fajitas and pasta with veggies and tomato sauce. We also ate at a Greek semi-vegetarian restaurant where I had Japanese eggplant stuffed with onions and tomatoes while my husband had falafel with pita and hummus. While lunch and dinner were not much of a problem, I have to admit that breakfast did get a little boring (oatmeal and fruit every morning). There were also a couple stressful days when my son was sick and the last thing I wanted to do was order a salad... so pizza it was! But overall, I found this traveling experience to be pretty good as far as eating goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment