Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Put down the BlackBerry and walk away...

You may be wondering why I am writing about an addictive electronic device on a blog that is about vegan food. Well, here is my explanation... Being "healthy for life" is not simply about the food we eat. It is also about living life in a healthy way spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. You can eat all the fruits and veggies you want, but if you are disconnected from others (and from your true self) your life will not be complete.

As I was driving to run some errands this morning I noticed two things as I looked into the cars I passed. 1) At least half of the people waiting at lights had their heads down and their thumbs either texting or typing on their "smart" phones. 2) The other half seemed to be talking on their phones while they were driving. (Note to east coasters: this is not illegal out here in Kansas). Over the summer, my husband and I were at an outdoor concert, it was a beautiful night, the music was awesome and I can't even tell you how many people I saw engrossed in their little handheld devices. I even saw one guy in front of me updating his status on Facebook ("At the Big Head Todd show. It's awesome!" Although I'm not sure how he knew it was awesome since he barely looked up at the stage!) And when I was at the Apple store last week waiting for my "genius" appointment, I was just standing there, not looking at any kind of device. I think it made the workers there uncomfortable! They kept coming up to ask me if I needed anything! Too funny.

I don't have an iPhone. I don't have a BlackBerry. And guess what? I'm super excited about that fact and intend to keep it that way. (I even still use a paper planner! Imagine that!). I'm not saying these things are inherently bad. There are a lot of advantages to having such phones and many people need them to conduct business and keep in touch with others. However, I'm noticing a lot of distraction in this beautiful world of ours. People don't notice things around them. People don't stop to gaze at the beautiful sunset or stare at the crescent moon. People don't take the time to just be. I'm convinced that it is unhealthy to be continuously staring at a screen all the time.  


I stay home with my 2 year-old son and I watch him very closely. His wonder and amazement about the world around him is so incredible to see. He notices details that most adults miss and I am forever grateful for the way he shows me the little things in life. This is what we need to do more of. Take the perspective of a child each day and find something to marvel at. When you're done with work, put down your BlackBerry and enjoy the things you see in the world around you.

And with that, I'm closing down my computer for the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment