Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegan Enchiladas

One of the very fun things about vegan cooking is trying old recipes with new/substitute ingredients. I did a lot of this when I first went vegetarian. For example, my mom always makes spaghetti sauce with ground beef in it. I loved the texture of this so now I substitute boca crumbles or smart ground in and you really can't tell the difference!

Anyway, the other night we had friends over who are also vegetarian and I attempted (and succeeded!) to make vegan enchiladas. You can really put any type of filling into enchiladas. Pick your favorite kind of beans (I recommend black or pinto) and mix them in with vegetarian refried beans for a very yummy filling. I kind of just made up this recipe so I'll include the amounts I used here and you can adjust them based on your own needs...

Karin's Vegan Enchiladas

One package of small corn tortillas (about 10 to 12)
1 can Amy's traditional vegetarian refried beans
1 can black beans (or pinto or whatever! there are no bad beans!)
2 cans red enchilada sauce
1 cup daiya (vegan) cheddar cheese
cilantro

1. Mix refried beans, black beans and cilantro in a bowl (you can use as much cilantro as you want).
2. Spread one can of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13in. baking pan.
3. Place tortillas (5 at a time) between moist paper towels and heat in microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Put about 1/4 cup of bean mixture in each tortilla, roll it up, and place seam-side down in baking pan. Continue until you run out of room, bean mix, or tortillas!
5. Spread the second can of enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Then sprinkle the cheese over the enchiladas. You can use more than a cup of the daiya cheese if you really like cheese!
6. Bake in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment