Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Slow Food, Real Food

Mark Bittman scores again...


Sometimes when I'm buying my food (whether it's at Whole Foods or Price Chopper) I start thinking about how much it all costs and at times I have to take a deep breath at the check out counter. Buying food to prepare at home can seem expensive but in actuality it is not. I don't have exact numbers but I typically pay between $100 and $150 a week for groceries for our family of three. We usually eat at home (with the exception of my husband's lunches at work) most of the week and eat out once or twice at the most. Now, depending on where we go to eat out (say Spin Pizza or Ingredient) our meal ends up costing almost $30. If we ate out every night of the week, that would be about $210 and that is just for dinner. Plus when I cook at home we will eat the leftovers for lunch or I'll freeze them for a later date. 

The take home message: cooking at home as much as possible is healthier, cheaper, and more effiecient!

No comments:

Post a Comment