Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Friday, May 14, 2010

From Theory to Practice

My family and I are so blessed to be able to live in a neighborhood with great grocery stores that are overflowing with beautiful, fresh produce. I stay home with my son full time and that gives me the opportunity to prepare home cooked, vegetarian meals. We have enough financial security to buy healthy foods in abundance and even organic produce and other such products. But I've been thinking a lot lately about those people who are not as fortunate as we are. In today's economic climate, the number of people struggling to make ends meet is increasing. And there are, and always have been, people who struggle daily simply to survive. How can you worry about cooking healthy meals when you are working two, sometimes three jobs? How can a single mother with four children have the energy to make sure those kids eat enough vegetables? How can families in low-income neighborhoods find fresh produce when their only shopping options are fast food and convenience stores? It's no wonder the dollar menu at McDonald's is so appealing. I know how hard it is to make decisions when I am stressed and tired and when those times occur, the last thing I want to do is worry about eating enough whole foods! There are studies that suggest the investment you make today in the food you eat will save you money in the long run by lowering your long term health care costs. While this may be true, if you are struggling to pay your rent and take care of your kids, it is difficult to see down that long road. Obviously a lot of societal changes need to happen, that's for sure. It is easy for me to sit here and tell everyone how important healthy eating is. But what solutions can we come up with to make the "theory" of healthful eating a reality for low income families? I don't have an answer, but I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment