Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Food Revolution

After an inspiring conversation about nutrition last night (thank you, Bree!), I decided to regain my focus on food and start reading The Food Revolution by John Robbins (thank you, Liz!). In 1987, Robbins wrote the book Diet for a New America and brought out a philosophy that was just taking root in which people were beginning to make choices about food that affect not only your body, but your environment, the people around you, and your soul. I highly recommend the books listed on the upper right-hand side of this blog, and I'm sure this book will be added to that list when I am finished. In the short amount I read last night, I would like to share with you a segment that I found very telling. Read it and think about it as you enjoy your 4th of July weekend...

"What keeps us stuck? What keeps us from recognizing the power that we have to make choices that honor our spirits and enrich our lives? What keeps us passive and distant from our greatness? What keeps us closed down when we could be vibrant and creative? The same thing that keeps the animal in his cage, even when the door is opened and he has the chance to walk free. Habit.

"When it comes to food choices, habit is stupendously powerful. Our familiar foods give us comfort, reassurance, and a sense of identity. They are there for us when the world may not be. They can be our best friends, loyal and true. It does not take effort or creativity to do the same thing over and over again. There is ease and relaxation in doing what we have always done. And if our habits are continually reinforced by the society around us, they can become even more powerful and alluring." (from chapter 2, page 13)

I will share my own thoughts on this soon. Check back after the holiday!

2 comments:

  1. Great post about Food Revolution Brian. John Robbins also inspired me to change my life and my food.

    John has a great new website and blog which you can find at http://www.johnrobbins.info. You should include a link to it in your post. He was one of the first writers to go into my own blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are enjoying the book. It is a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete