Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Monday, September 30, 2013

The China Study Cookbook

Good morning and happy Monday friends! As promised I would like to share some of my very favorite cookbooks that I am working from now to prepare healthy, whole food and plant based meals for myself and my family. The China Study Cookbook is inspired by T. Colin Campbell's best selling book, The China Study and includes delicious recipes that focus on whole, unprocessed foods. I have to say that this has been one of my go-to cookbooks since the summer and it served as my inspiration to get back on track with eating a mostly vegan and totally nutritious diet!

Although I started eating a vegetarian diet months before reading The China Study, I have to say that that was the very book that got me most inspired and fed me with the science behind why a plant based diet can reap benefits for your long-term health. It motivated my husband to also join me in crossing over to the dark side of green leafy vegetables and juicy fruits, among other things, and convinced me that my son can still grow healthy and strong without whole milk and chicken every day.

This cookbook takes the principles and conclusions reached in The China Study and transforms them into delicious, edible combinations that you can feel great about eating. And better yet, the recipes are fairly simple and don't require a lot of exotic ingredients (which can sometimes be an intimidating problem in some vegan cookbooks). Perhaps my favorite dishes in this cookbook come in the salad section and I tried a lot of them during the summer when produce was at its best. For example, there is a Lemon Tahini Quinoa Salad that I made quite a few times and even served to our non-vegetarian friends and even they enjoyed it! The entrees are fabulous as well and some of my favorite here include African Vegetables, Eggplant Bake, and Fettuccine with Broccoli and Cashew Sauce.

In our house, however, nothing is more popular (especially with the five year-old set) than the Panana Cakes! Yes you read that right--Panana! CJ absolutely loves these and I love making them for him. They have a nice flavor and they freeze well, which definitely comes in handy on our busier mornings. I'll make these pancakes on the weekend, freeze the leftovers and pull them out to heat in the microwave when we are getting ready for school. I'll include this recipe below if you'd like to try it, but I have to say, of all the cookbooks I've worked from recently, this one is definitely worth picking up!

Panana Cakes

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 banana, mashed
1 cup water
1 cup nondairy milk (I usually use soy but almond milk is good too!)
2 egg replacers (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of water)
2 tablespoons maple syrup

1. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix mashed banana, water, milk, egg replacers, and maple syrup.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir just enough to remove any lumps. The batter should be pourable.
4. Preheat nonstick skillet or griddle.
5. Pour batter onto heated surface to the size desired and cook until each side is golden brown. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment