Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It's Crazy AND Sexy

Several years ago, I read Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet and it really changed the way I looked at eating. Granted, it was also during this time that I was reading all kinds of mind-blowing food books from The China Study to Eating Animals to The Kind Diet. While each of those books made a great case for eating a plant-based diet, Crazy Sexy Diet really connected all the dots for me and gave me countless reasons to eat the way I do today. Kris Carr has a playful and fun way of writing that makes me feel like I was having a conversation with one of my good friends over coffee... I mean, green juice!

Well, she has now come out with Crazy Sexy Kitchen and it is filled with nutritious recipes that also taste fantastic! While it does use more exotic (and sometimes expensive) ingredients than The China Study Cookbook, the combinations are frequently different than any I've seen in other cookbooks recently. In addition, the book includes recipes for juices and smoothies as well as a basic summary of what was talked about in Crazy Sexy Diet to start you off on the right foot.

Some of my favorite recipes from this gem include the Morning Glorious green drink, Mango and Coconut Millet (breakfast), Tofu Country Scramble (also breakfast), Warm Kale and Quinoa Salad, and  her Tomatoes and Herbs recipe. I will give you the Warm Kale recipe because it is so good and ridiculously healthy!

Warm Kale and Quinoa Salad

2 cups quinoa
3 cups water
2 cups chopped kale
3 tablespoons pine nuts (or slivered almonds)
3 tablespoons raisins or dried cranberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt to taste
black pepper to taste

1. In a small pot on medium heat, add quinoa and water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue to cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

2. Add the shredded kale on top of the quinoa and cover for a few minutes to allow the kale to steam.

3. Add pine nuts, cranberries, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment