Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Friday, October 25, 2013

A New Day

I ate like crap yesterday.

First of all I had maybe a serving of fruit. I made a salad to go along with my dinner but wasn't the least bit interested in eating it. After lunch I splurged on a bag of chocolate covered pretzels and later in the afternoon had some delicious strawberry cake and my first helping of ice cream since August. On top of that I felt tired, stressed and cranky yesterday. I had no patience for my son's million-per-day questions and was ready to return our adorable pup that we adopted one month ago due to her incessant barking.

Have you had days like this?

Now this was by far not really a stressful day when you view it with a little perspective but it was just one of those days where I didn't feel healthy, calm, and relaxed. In fact I felt tense and pissy! And I wasn't thrilled with how I felt after eating all that sugar. In the past, however, I would internally beat myself up for giving into cravings. Not any more! Because you know what? Today is a new day.

In fact, each day is a new day to start over and bring your A game. So yesterday was stressful and pretty much stunk to high heaven? Guess what. Today is a clean slate, a fresh start. Last night I got a good night sleep, ate well today, made some green juice, kicked the crap out of a punching bag at Title Boxing and moved on. 

Oh and one more thing... I thought about all the good stuff that happened yesterday in between the tension. I got to see Christopher's contagious smile when I picked him up from school. I spent the afternoon celebrating one of his friend's birthdays with some of the nannies in our hood who I really enjoy talking to. I did a face time chat with a dear friend from college for two hours. I volunteered at Operation Breakthrough with wonderful little kids in the morning.

Hmm, I guess yesterday wasn't so bad after all. And I pledge to make today and tomorrow that much better. How about you?

1 comment: