Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Choices

We live in a world of fast food, convenience packaging, and (dare I say it) Lunchables. We also live in a world of growing famers markets, unlimited fresh produce, and increasing nutritional knowledge. Thank goodness we have been granted the free will to choose what is best for us! It's not always easy to put our health first, but it is essential to living a full and happy life. When your health is strong and you can take control of what you put into your body, it will carry over to every other aspect of your life. Here are my top five choices that have helped me lose weight and body fat, improve my skin, hair and nails, and sleep better over the past two months:

1. Increase your consumption of vegetables, lentils and fruits. I'm not just talking about having a cup of broccoli with your dinner. Vegetables and lentils (i.e.--beans) should be what everything else at dinner revolves around. Incorporate vegetables in your main recipe and also have a salad on the side. Make fresh fruit your dessert rather than an ice cream sundae. Increased fruits and vegetables are the single most important factor in reducing the incidence of disease.

2. Reduce or eliminate dairy products. Sound like it can't be done? I've had cow's milk and cheese for much of my adult life, but have replaced it with soy and almond milk when I feel like having some. I have a little cheese now and then but not every day like I used to.

3. Prioritize exercise. Aside from diet, nothing can be more important. Exercise reduces stress, improves body image, and supports mobility even into old age. Think you don't have time? Get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning (gasp!) and go for a walk.

4. Eliminate added sugar and processed foods. There are many great things made by man, but food is not one of them. Read labels and if you have to buy packaged foods, look for those with fewer than five ingredients. I've even stopped drinking my beloved Dunkin' Donuts coffee because I realized I only enjoyed it with 2 to 3 scoops of sugar!

5. Reduce or eliminate animal products. This one is similar to cutting back on dairy. High consumption of meat and animal products has been linked to heart disease, high cholesterol, and certain cancers. I've chosen to go vegetarian, but even reducing your intake of meat by a little is beneficial.

These may seem like drastic measures to some. I tend to be an all or nothing girl so for me, I need to be a little drastic. However, I've also experienced some drastic changes for the better. If you don't want to do all these things right away, just start with one. For example, choose one day a week when you will eat vegetarian. You may just find that it is easier than you think.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!Thanks for these useful top five choices for weight loss.They seem to be easy to follow and I am sure it will work.

    ReplyDelete