Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Treats

I have a confession to make... I ate a cupcake yesterday! Oh and it was goooooood. You may think that because I am an advocate of caring for your health and eating nutritious foods that I am totally anti-sugar or anti-dessert. I'm not. On the contrary, I think a tasty treat is good for us now and then. The key is the "now and then" part. In my observations (and own personal experience) I feel like treats have become an everyday occurrence which in my mind defeats the purpose of something being a treat. It is certainly okay to have a dessert or something "bad" for you now and then. The problems start when you start having that cupcake every other day or drinking that tall pumpkin spice latte once or twice a day (that's the personal experience part). I've also heard this said quite often when in places such as Target: "If you're good, Tyler, Mommy will buy you a Snickers to have in the car." Sugary food should not be used as a reward. Instead, save your treat for a truly special occasion (and not just because it's Wednesday people!). I ate the cupcake yesterday (my first sugary dessert in seven weeks) at my best friend's baby shower. Wait for a holiday or your birthday or anniversary. Or wait until you visit the Tuck Shop with your grandparents. Better yet, find another way to treat yourself! I can only speak for the ladies here, but get a manicure, a facial, or a massage. Buy yourself a cute new outfit or accessory. These things can make you feel fabulous without making you feel guilty or being detrimental to your health. Let's rethink how we "treat" ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment