Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

About Kris Carr... again!

Okay, I just finished watching Kris Carr's movie "Crazy, Sexy, Cancer." It is a must-see if you can do it! If not, pick up her book Crazy Sexy Diet. I mean, here is a woman who was diagnosed with a serious cancer and admits that it took something like that to change her life; to make a positive change. And she is sharing what she has learned so that it doesn't take the rest of us a cancer diagnosis (or whatever!) to make the same positive change.

What I love about her is that she's not all or nothing, so to speak, especially when it comes to the nutrition aspect of it. Sometimes when I read these nutrition books or vegan manifestos, I feel unable to live up to what they are saying to do. But Kris Carr says, you know what, that's fine. In the movie it shows her absolutely miserable on a 21 day raw juice diet (not the one she recommends in her book, btw), drinking (gasp) acidic coffee, and just learning how to accept a condition in her body that might not ever go away. It's an inspiring story and not just her own. She also shares the stories of several other women dealing with all sorts of cancers and how it changes the way they approach life.

Sometimes I feel like I need to view such sources of inspiration on at least a weekly basis. I'll see something like Crazy Sexy Cancer and want to eat wholesome, nutritious foods, devote myself to daily yoga and meditation, and just live each moment to the fullest. And then... well, someone has to do the laundry. And what? You mean you have another poopy diaper, CJ? Ugh, I think I need another cup of coffee! I guess, as Carr talks about in her movie and her books, you just have to find the right balance for yourself. We all have to just do the best we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment