Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Working with what you have

So tonight, I didn't really feel like following any of the recipes I had planned for the week so I made due with what I had in the fridge. Here is what resulted:

First, I cooked 1/2 cup of millet (a yummy and very healthy grain) in simmering water for 25 minutes. While that was cooking, I sauteed a yellow onion, four cloves of chopped garlic, two diced tomatoes, one jar of sun dried tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped black olives, and some fresh oregano in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I also added a little salt and pepper to taste. After that cooked for about 15 minutes, I added a can of cannellini beans and cooked until the millet was done. Then I placed the veggies over the millet and topped it with just a little of the Daiya cheese (mozzarella style) that we had leftover from the week and served it up!  It actually turned out to be very yummy.

It's amazing what you can come up with when you have good, fresh ingredients in your pantry and fridge. I do this a lot with leftovers. For example, this week, I had some leftover rice and kidney beans. I put them together in a dish and then (separately) cooked a frozen kale/spinach/collards mix and combined them. I didn't have any, but normally I might put a little cheddar style Daiya cheese on top for some extra flavor. This usually works pretty well with Christopher too. Give the boy some beans and he's happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment