Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Candle 79

For my birthday this holiday season, I was fortunate enough to be in New York City where my husband took me out to Candle 79 for a gourmet vegan dinner! It was so fun to go to a restaurant and not have to wonder whether the ingredients are plant-based or not. For appetizers I got steamed dumplings and Brian had Angel's Nachos (check out their dinner menu through their website http://candle79.com). For dinner we both got the Seitan Piccata and we each had a glass of organic drinks (wine and beer, respectively). To finish our meal, we had the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bliss (the name speaks for itself!). Everything was so delish, we were stuffed, and we felt good about what we ate!

For Christmas I also received The Candle Cafe Cookbook which has many of the recipes from Candle 79 as well as Candle Cafe (their more casual establishment). This weekend, I made the Vegetable Lasagna with herbed tofu ricotta for dinner we were having with friends. It was a big hit, even for our friends who are not vegan. I am so excited about this new way of cooking and eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment