Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

90%

Lest anyone out there believe that I am eating a totally vegan diet 100% of the time, I've got news for you. I'm not. Just like everyone, I'm doing the best I can right now and I'd have to say that my best right now is about 90% vegan and I'm totally good with that! What can I say? Easter reminded me how much I enjoy a hard boiled egg.

With anything in life, it's important to do the best you can rather than strive for perfection. Perfection is boring. This is something I've dealt with my whole life. I've always wanted to do things the right way and have things just so. While there is nothing wrong with working hard to achieve the best results, it is also critical to go easy on yourself and not beat yourself up over silly things. Give it your best effort and move on.

In our media-infested world (Can I copyright that term? I really like it and plan to use it more!), we see images of people we may admire, people we may think are doing things "perfectly." Let's be honest. There is no such thing as a person doing things perfectly no matter how rich, beautiful, or healthy they may look on a magazine cover. (C'mon, certainly we are all familiar with airbrushing by now!). Even in health magazines where celebrities or models from the fitness industry talk about how clean their diets are, you know they're indulging every now and then, having some chocolate or a few glasses of wine. I don't think we could survive without such indulgences (especially when you have kids).

I guess my point today is to say, just do your best in everything you do and be satisfied when you've given a good effort. To me, right now, eating a 90% vegan diet is as good as I'm ready to do regardless of what I've written in the past. I am happy with that and I know that I have taken major steps over the past two years to reduce the suffering in the world and I've made myself a healthier person in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment