Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Running Lessons

I love to run... No, really, I love to run! I remember running my first 1 mile fun run in Havelock, North Carolina when I was 6 or 7 and I had a little medal to commemorate it. My love of running didn't really pick up though until after college when I finally decided to run further than three miles. I would find new routes, increase the mileage, and before I knew it I was running my first marathon.

But to me, running is more than just training for races and trying to break personal records. It is truly a metaphor for life. One morning, about a month ago, I was out for an early morning run by myself--no kid, no dog--and I was thinking about all of the lessons I have learned over my running years and the parallels between the journey around the block and the journey through life. So here's what I came up with...


1. It's cheaper (and better) than therapy! A good run on your own gives you time to deal with your demons. It allows you to work things out in your head without anyone interjecting their opinions and it gives you time to clear your mind.


2. Meditation. Along with therapy, running can serve as a form of meditation or prayer. I've used my time on the roads to clear my head of distractions and just be in the present moment. I've also used runs to pray for others who need it (sometimes myself!) or repeat an affirmation over and over. 


3. You might face a strong headwind, but you will turn a corner and eventually the wind will be at your back. Everyone has had struggles or has been through dark periods in their lives where it feels like the wind is just stopping you in your tracks. These times pass, though, and you will get stronger, one day getting to the place you want to be. 


4. Listen to your body. Like all runners, I can be stubborn and try to push through nagging injuries only to find that I am making them worse. Injuries will teach you patience and the more patient you are, the quicker you will heal. Running forces you to listen to what your body is telling you (push harder, slow down, stop!) and this is something we should do always.

5. Exploration. Whenever I travel to a new city, I try to find out where I can run to check out the scenery. This has helped me explore places like San Diego, Chicago's waterfront, Dublin, and many more. My favorite travel run ever was in St. Andrew's, Scotland where I got to run on the beach where they filmed "Chariots of Fire" and you better believe I had the theme song going through my mind as I ran there. Maybe I even sang it out loud!

6. Slow down and smell the roses. When you drive around in a car, it is easy to go quickly through towns and neighborhoods without noticing the details. When you are running, you get a chance to really take in everything around you. This morning when I ran, I saw a tremendous variety of birds that I would not have seen in a car.

7. Discipline. When you train for a race, or just run on a regular basis, you learn that things do not come easily. You have to work hard for something that's worth it. As a result of that training, you get great results, feel healthier, and push yourself beyond your previously established limits.

8. Freedom! I feel completely free when I run--free to think about what I want, free to look at what I want, free to feel however I want to feel. Sometimes I will run at sunrise and the sky here will be so beautiful and expansive and I feel like I'm on top of the world. It's amazing!

I know running is not for everyone and for those of you who don't like it, or can't do it because of injuries, there is definitely something else that can give you all of the above benefits. Look for what it is because you will come out a stronger, happier person when you find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment