Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Return to Local Burger

Well hello, Lawrence. It's so nice to see you again!

I returned this afternoon with Brian and CJ to the one and only Lawrence, Kansas... home of the NCAA championship-bound KU Jayhawks. Lawrence has always been one of our favorite places to visit since we moved out here, but for whatever reason, we have not been in over a year. Perhaps our impending move gave us the excuse we needed to head twenty minutes west of Lenexa to explore this fun, hippie, yummy town once more. Either that or the 85 sunny degrees on the first day of April!

So after picking up some Keenes for Brian (making our family summer footwear complete!), we ventured over to Local Burger to pick up some dinner. First off, I love walking into a restaurant knowing we are going to have more than one choice on the menu. For vegans, Local Burger has several options including possibly the most fabulous veggie burger (or at least my favorite) in the area as well as tofu burgers. Of course this is a burger joint but everything they serve comes from very local farms. Anyway, Brian and I ordered the veggie burger with our choice of toppings and little CJ requested the kiddie tofu burger which he enjoyed with a side of fresh organic fruit and rice milk. On my burger, I added lettuce and tomato and Veganaise! It may seem like a little thing, but I get very excited when I see things like rice milk and Veganaise on a menu. We finished our meal with a gluten-free, vegan chocolate chip cookie which was okay but a yummy cookie nonetheless.

After spending the week showing my cousin all the vegetarian and vegan options Kansas City has to offer, working on ordering cheese-free food (at a pizza place no less!), and feeding the baby calves at Deanna Rose this morning, I ate my veggie burger feeling so good about the choices we've made in the past few years about our eating. Sometimes it can be a real effort to turn down the ice cream or the cheese pizza (and lord knows I don't always do it!) but when I make conscious choices to eat vegan, I am completely satisfied that we are making the decision to bring health to ourselves and to the world, one veggie burger at a time.

Local Burger
714 Vermont Street
Lawrence, KS 66044

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited you are back. I wish we had Local Burger. Now that I'm back in the east I'm going to make a bigger effort to search out more veggie and vegan places.

    ReplyDelete