Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Friday, April 6, 2012

Running by the light of the moon

I love the early morning, especially when it is my own choice to get up before the sun does.

This morning I woke up early to run by myself. I have to say that I am very fortunate to live where I do with well-lit streets and plenty of sidewalks so this makes early morning runs a whole lot easier. Often I'll take my personal trainer (Kasey Moe) with me on such runs but there are days when I just need to go it alone. This morning was one of those days and it was absolutely beautiful. After unseasonably warm weather, we have had some cooler evenings and hence mornings so I threw on a sweatshirt and running pants and set off on my neighborhood route. I don't run with headphones (ladies, please don't run with headphones outside, especially in the dark!) and the stillness at 5:30 is so peaceful. What made this morning's run even more perfect was the full moon still hovering in the west. If you are looking for distraction during a run, focus on something beautiful around you--the flowering trees, the baby bunny enjoying his breakfast, the birds cheering you on. This morning, my beautiful was the full moon and my thoughts about everything and nothing. This is why I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment