Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

No App for Happiness

It's funny how one thing leads to another.

Yesterday, I had a few minutes to check out several health and nutrition websites on my search to find tidbits of motivation and information. On Kris Carr's website, www.kriscarr.com, I was reading one of her recent posts about spiritually inspiring books that she recommends. I just happened to browse through the comments section where other readers recommended their own books and saw among them the name Max Strom and his book There is No App for Happiness. I had never heard of him before but the title of his book struck me. I love the truth in it! So I googled Max Strom and found the following Ted Talk he gave in Kansas City (after watching it, I'm sorry I missed him!). The clip is only 15 minutes in length so if you can devote that much time to it, check it out. I am glad that I did!


I was really struck by Strom's calm presence as he spoke, and I agree with a lot of what he says--so much so that I decided to order his book and check out more of what he has to share. I believe there is truth to the fact that the more technology takes over our lives, the more unhappy we are becoming (ironic coming from a blogger, I know!). I will share my own experience with this in a future blog. But I also know there are people who are rebelling against what I like to call "screen takeover." I have nothing against the internet and I believe computers, smartphones, and tablets all have their place. But we are losing our ability to truly connect with others face to face, to even look people in the eye when we speak to them! More thoughts on this topic in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment