Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Monday, February 7, 2011

Winter blues

Okay, we're all saying it. We're tired of winter. I totally wasn't going to get caught up in feeling animosity toward the cold, dark, snowy weather. I was taking care of myself and staying positive...

And then last week happened.

We hardly left our house for three full days. And the one day my little boy goes to school, school was cancelled. On top of it, he was acting very two and a half and the only exercise I was doing was shoveling the driveway. I actually enjoy shoveling but I don't think there is any such thing as a "shoveler's high" as there is a "runner's high."

Anyway, I ate like crap, was cranky and tired of my house, and didn't want anything to do with green vegetables. This seems to be a pattern with me each winter. There is a stretch of a week or two when my normally healthy diet just crashes and I load up on comfort foods. Let's just say I visited Starbucks one too many times last week and ate the whole bag of mini marshmallows before they even made it into my hot chocolate... Yeah, not good.

But that was then and today is a new day. I broke out of my funk after a little Saturday TLC (cuddling up to watch a good movie and painting my nails!) and woke up Sunday with a new determination to take care of myself. I know the food we eat affects everything about us including our moods and this past week was a living experiment of that for me. Today I have eaten like a rock star, did some AM yoga, and a heart pumping afternoon workout and I feel fantastic! In my head, I always know that eating well makes us feel well, but it is not always easy to follow through when winter is dragging on. But it's okay you guys! If you get in a funk, remember to take care of yourself and start again. Each day is a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment