Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 9

Well, we're midway through Day 9 of the cleanse and things are going pretty well. Now I must admit, I drove by Spin Pizza today and I drooled a little bit, no doubt about that. There have definitely been moments when I have said, "Why the heck am I doing this? It's been a week, that's enough right?" Perhaps, but I'm determined to stick to this. It is a commitment I've made and I'm going to do it.

It's funny because those momentary cravings are just that... momentary. They don't last long. I'm not dwelling on a soy latte or anything for more than 2 minutes. And I'm finding that there are an equal amount (if not more) of moments where I feel utterly joyful about how I'm eating. It may sound funny to you if you're not vegan, but it truly makes me happy when I am eating a plant-based diet. I've read so much about the treatment of animals (both for meat and dairy) that when I can exclude myself from participating in their misery, it makes me so happy.

This cleanse is not just vegan, it's uber-healthy. So while tortilla chips are vegan, they are not included in the cleanse (insert sad face here). Well, okay I say that but Brian and I went to a vegan restaurant downtown called Fud (www.eatfud.com- check it out KC folks! It was super yummy, but the food takes a long time. I'd recommend it if you want to have a slow leisurely dinner with your spouse or a friend you can gab with for hours) and we had vegan nachos and vegan tacos. In my opinion they were so, so delish! And then, in sticking with the cleanse, I washed it down with fresh-juiced carrot juice. While the cleanse is gluten free, I don't think I could live gluten free unless I absolutely had to. So when the cleanse is done, bring on the bread!

All in all, the cleanse is bringing on positive changes and habits that I want to continue for a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment