Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Working Through It

We're on day 3 of the cleanse. As usual, our timing is impeccable--Chris has been sick since right before we started on this health journey and on top of it, he hasn't napped in 5 days. I'm looking at it as an extreme challenge for me because as I said before, Starbucks is usually my first stop when I get stressed out. I can't deny that I have wanted to dive into the sugary goodness of a cinnamon dulce latte but I'm looking for other ways to get through the no-nap-cranky-fussy-"no mommy"-two-year-old afternoons.

Overall, I feel excellent after just 3 days of this cleanse. The green juices make me feel so clean and healthy as do all the other foods we've been eating. Brian and I have each lost a couple initial pounds too. For breakfast this morning, I had some of our leftover millet from the other night mixed with raw spinach, onions, and cherry tomatoes--not your typical breakfast food but it was actually delicious and I followed it up with 2 cups of mixed fresh berries.

To be honest, it does take a lot of effort to eat like this, despite what anyone says. (Especially the juicing part--there are a lot of components to clean up!). But I feel like the effort is worth it. It gets us away from the fast food, pick-up-dinner-on-the-go mentality. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we'll be doing that every now and then, but we'll be better off if we prepare our own meals and eat as a family at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment