Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
—Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 14

I can't believe we have been doing this cleanse for 14 days already!

I just want to share one of the biggest challenges for me on this cleanse so far--gluten! I seriously thought the alcohol (I love a glass of wine now and then) and sugar would be the toughest things to give up, but man do I love my bread. So far it's the only thing I've given into, but only moderately. For example, last week I made black bean burgers for dinner and one of the ingredients is bread crumbs. Okay, no biggie. Last night, my mom came into town and we went out to dinner at Ingredient (love it!). It was a Friday night and honestly, I was not about to have yet another salad. So instead of stressing about it, I ordered the West Coast Veggie Burger which is so delish! I had half the roll instead of both halves and I'm really glad I had it.

Today we went downtown for something and then to eat at the Plaza. We went to Eden Alley and it was interesting looking over their menu now that we are eating gluten free these few weeks. Usually I get the sweet potato burrito there (yum!) but this time I ordered a tofu/falafel brunch dish with cashew cheese and brown rice which turned out to be great, as all of their food is. But they usually bring bread to the table before the meal with vegan butter and that was really hard to pass on. That bread is amazing! So I just had Christopher and my mom eat it for me. Anyway, of all the things I am looking forward to having again, a little bit of gluten is it. But I am grateful for doing this cleanse because I will probably cut down a bit on the gluten I eat. It's all about awareness!

No comments:

Post a Comment